Please scroll down and click on links to see more photos of trains in this series.
I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I enjoyed taking them. The Southern Pacific railroad will always be my favorite railroad!
A little story: My dad was an SP hoghead (locomotive engineer). He hired out with SP in 1945. When he saw the Fairbanks Morse Train Master locomotive demonstrators touring the SP he said to the SP officials there, "Oh God, last thing we need is another Trainmaster!"
SP and its subsidiaries
Click on the following links to see pictures related to the SP:
- SP 3020 Fairbanks Morse H-24-66 Train Master
- Southern Pacific Fairbanks Morse H-24-66 Train Master 3020 leads train 132 past 4th St. Tower in San Francisco (date not recorded.) The SP 3020 is a former FM Demonstrator.
Analog Image, Ektachrome Slide 5.619, Scan 20101110101.14
- SP 3021 Fairbanks Morse Train Master | Color Version
- SP H-24-66 3021, an ex-Fairbanks Morse Train Master Demonstrator Locomotive, at the Bayshore Roundhouse on July 15, 1974.
Analog Images, B&W Neg 2.17.15, Scan 2009123101.10 | Kodachrome Slide 5.627, Scan 20101110101.18, Former Bayshore yard photo location.
- SP 3021 FM H-24-66 Train Master
- Southern Pacific Fairbanks Morse H-12-44 2390 and H-24-66 3021 are caught running lite from Bayshore to 7th Street in San Francisco, CA on July 15, 1974.
Analog Image, Kodachrome Slide 5.627, Scan 20101110101.19
- SP 3022 Fairbanks Morse Train Master
- FM H24-66, Train Master 3022 and Friends. 7th Street Diesel Ramp San Francisco, California, USA July 29, 1974
- SP 3022 FM H-24-66 Train Master
- On Sunday October 13, 1974 SP Train Master 3022 waits for the Monday morning commutes in San Jose, CA.
Analog Image, Kodachrome Slide 5.629, Scan 20101110101.21
- SP 3022 FM H-24-66 Train Master
- The World's Friendliest Airline and the Friendly Southern Pacific: A PSA 727 grining bird approaches San Jose airport over FM Train Masters 3022 and 3031, RS32 4005, SDP45s (3204 & others) and a Geep on on Sunday, October 13, 1974.
Analog Image, Kodachrome Slide 5.630, Scan 20101110101.22
- SP 3025 FM H-24-66 Train Master
- On Sunday March 11, 1973, SP Train Master 3025 is at the front of a string of FM's spending a hazy day waiting for work.
Analog Image, Kodachrome Slide 5.642, Scan 20101110101.23
- SP 3028 FM H-24-66 Train Master
- Southern Pacific Train Master 3028 sits at West Colton, CA on a foggy October 22, 1974 while being tested for work as a yard sled.
Analog Image, Kodachrome Slide 5.646, Scan 2010111301.6
- SP 3029 Fairbanks Morse Train Master (Photo One)
- This SP Trainmaster is hanging out where most SP Train Masters did on weekends, at the power pool near Lenzen Street.
Neg 2.16.11, Scan 2009123101_08, Former San Jose Roundhouse photo location.
- SP 3029 Fairbanks Morse Train Master (Photo Two) | More Recent Scan
- Southern Pacific Trainmaster 3029 on SP Commute Train 128 passing the 4th Street Tower, San Francisco, CA, Date Unknown, about 1974. According to "Jim", "128 was a weekday limited-stop rush hour train leaving SF at 4:55. It wouldn't have any special consists or stops. The "Big Game" special was on a Saturday and had 12 cars in later years. I saw it with 12 galleries, or 1 harriman and 11 galleries. Extra galleries were added to some other weekend trains due to Stanford football games, but train 128 was strictly a weekday rush hour train.
There is another set of harrimans on an adjacent track, that look like that last three cars of the first train. Train 128 ran with 6 harrimans from the 1960s until about 1975-76 when it was dropped to 5 harrimans. The longest string of harrimans I recall seeing, was 8, and that was only on certain holiday times when they added a couple to 122 (4:15pm departure) for people getting off work early. Of course, in the pre-late 1960s days there were longer strings of harrimans."
Analog Image, Kodachrome Slide 5.647, Rescan: 2010111301.7
- SP 3031 FM H-24-66 Train Master
- On June 11, 1974 SP Train Master 3031 leads train 142 south out of San Francisco, CA.
Analog Image, Kodachrome Slide 5.651, Scan 2010111301.8
- SP 3033 FM H-24-66 Train Master
- Southern Pacific Train Master 3033 leads train 136 out of Third and Townsend station past the SP's 4th Street Tower in San Francisco on an unrecorded date.
Analog Image, Ektachrome Slide 5.658, Scan 2010111301.9
- SP 3034 Fairbanks Morse Train Master
- Notice the trainmaster's white hat on this FM Train Master's horn. SP 3034 is sitting at Bayshore waiting for the end, around 1974.
Neg 2.17.17, Scan 2009123101_11,Former Bayshore yard photo location.
To all the great folks who helped me out with information for these Web pages!