Donner Trip - Aug. 2010
On Thursday Aug 12, 2010 I went to Sacramento, via Davis for a meeting. On Friday the 13th, after the meeting, I went to a campground in the Sierras to meet my buddy Ken and his son Zach. This was our second Donner trip in 2010. We spent the next day and a half chasing trains. It was tons of fun!
Please scroll down to see many photos from this trip!
August 12 - 15, 2010; Trip Photos
August 12, 2010
On Thursday August 12 I was driving to Sacramento to prepare for a meeting the next day. I decided to stop in Davis and hang out there and watch trains go by in the late afternoon.
- California Northern 109 EMD GP15-1 | Nose shot
- Cal Northern GP15-1 109 sits in Davis, CA at 6:15 p.m. on August 12, 2010.
Nikon D300s, Digital Images: 2010081601_023 | 2010081601_026
- California Northern 504 NRE 3GS21B
- California Northern 504 an NRE 3GS21B passes GP15-1 109 in Davis, CA at 6:25 p.m. on August 12, 2010.
Nikon F6, Ektachrome 100B Analog Image: 2010091001_001
- AM 140 GE P42 | Dining Car Reflection
- Amtrak train number 5 is at Davis, CA at 7:02 p.m. on Thursday, August 12, 2010. The sun is reflecting on the side of the diner car.
Nikon F6, Ektachrome 100B Analog Image: 2010091001_002, Nikon D300s, Digital Image: 2010081601_030
- AM 2006 EMD F59PHI, Cab car 8313 leading | 2006 with Davis Depot
- Amtrak California Capitol Train 542 approaches Davis, CA at 7:10 p.m. on Thursday, August 12, 2010. Cab car 8313 is on the front and the 2006 is shoving on the back.
Nikon D300s, Digital Images: 2010081601_038 | 2010081601_042
August 13, 2010
Friday, after my meeting, I drove towards the mountains to meet Ken and Zach. But, there was an accident at Antelope Road, so I diverted through Roseville Yard. I did not see any trains moving, but I got a chance to check out the yard. I finally made it up the hill and set up my tent right before dark.
- UP 7795 GE C45ACCTE GEVO
- UP C45ACCTE GEVO 7795 and SD9043AC 8071 are near Antlope in Roseville Yard at 6:05 p.m. on August 13, 2010.
Nikon D300s, Digital Image: 2010081601_052
- UP 5648 GE C44ACCTE GEVO
- GE 5648 a GEVO C44AC-CTE is at Roseville, CA at 6:15 p.m. on August 13, 2010.
Nikon D300s, Digital Image: 2010081601_057
- UPY 857 EMD SD38-2
- UP SD38-2 Y857, an apparent former MoPac SD40-2, is shown at Roseville, CA on August 13, 2010 at 6:20 p.m.
Nikon D300s, Digital Image: 2010081601_060
- UP 8107 EMD SD9043MAC
- UP SD9043MAC 8107 is shown at the Roseville, CA Shops at 6:25 p.m. on August 13, 2010.
Nikon D300s, Digital Image: 2010081601_064
- UPY 623 EMD GP15-1
- Ex MoPac GP15-1 Y623 is at the east end of Roseville Shops at 6:30 p.m. on August 13, 2010.
Nikon D300s, Digital Image: 2010081601_068
August 14, 2010
Saturday the 14th was a full day in the Sierras with Ken and Zach Compton. Click on the following links to see pictures taken in the Sierras on August 14, 2010:
- Ken Compton's Coffee Pot
- This was an important part of the trip.
- UP 5550 GE C45ACCTE (GEVO) | Lead Unit | Head end going away | DPU
- The Union Pacific KLTG1 is at the Troy crossing at 10:15 a.m. on August 14, 2010 heading east with UP 5550, 4770, 5407 and the UP 5368 as a DPU on the rear.
Nikon D300s, Digital Images: 2010081601_095 | 2010081601_103 | 2010081601_106 | 2010081601_112
- UP 4415 EMD SD70M | Closer above | Going Away
- UP 4415 is leading the ZCSLT with locomotives 4565 and 4111 at 1:25 p.m. on August 14, 2010. It was neat seeing an all SD70M consist, at Troy on the UP Roseville Subdivision (Donner line).
Nikon D300s Digital Images - 2010081601_131 | 2010081601_133 | 2010081601_138
- UP 7435 GE C45ACCTE | 7719 DPU
- Union Pacific C45ACCTE GEVO 7435 is leading the KMNOA at Troy, CA at 12:15 p.m.at Troy, CA on The UP's Roseville Subdivision (Donner Pass.) GEVO 7719 is the DPU.
Nikon F6, Fujichrome Astia Analog Images: 2010091001_04 | 2010091001_05
- UP 8105 EMD SD9043MAC
- The MRORV on August 14, 2010 is being led by SD9043AC UP 8105 at Troy. Other power on the train is the 4004, 4987 and the 5559.
Nikon F6, Fujichrome Astia Analog Image: 2010091001_06
- UP 8133 EMD SD9043AC | DPU 5575 | Close on 5575
- Union Pacific SD9043AC 8133 leads the 7076 and the 4005, with C44AC-CTE 5575 as a DPU, on the MRVRO 14, an eastbound manifest, at Shed Ten on California's Donner Pass Line, at 4:45 p.m. on August 14, 2010.
Nikon D300s Digital Images: 2010081601_154 | 2010081601_156 | 2010081601_157
- AM 175 GE P42DC
- On August 14, 2010 train number six approaches Shed 10 on Union Pacific's Roseville Subdivision (Donner Pass).
Nikon F6, Fujichrome Astia Analog Image: 2010091001_07
- AM 159 GE P42DC Front of Train | Older Equipment | Private Varnish
- Amtrak number five emerges from Shed 10 on the UP Roseville Subdivision (Donner Pass Line) at 5:07 p.m. on August 14, 2010. This train has Private Varnish cars Silver Splendor and Pacific Sands.
Nikon D300s Digital Images: 2010081601_161 | 2010081601_163 | 2010081601_164
- UP 8162 EMD SD9043AC Approaching in shadows | Entering Shed 10
- Union Pacific SD9043AC 8162 is leading the QFRNPP 14, an eastbound manifest, toward Shed Ten on California's Donner Pass Line, Sunday August 14, 2010 at 5:45 p.m. on one of the single tracked portions of Donner Pass.
Nikon D300s Digital Images: 2010081601_173 | 2010081601_180
- UP 5576 GE C44ACCTE (GEVO) | Closer | Power Backlit | DPU | DPU Going Away | At Midas | DPU
- The ZNPOA led by UP GEVO C44AC-CTE 5576, 4498, NS 6794 and NS 3367 is shown at Yuba Gap at 6:30 p.m. on August 14, 2010. A really dirty GEVO 5561 is shoving on the rear. The train is at Midas, CA at 7:10 p.m.
Nikon D300s Digital Images: 2010081601_192 | 2010081601_196 | 2010081601_197 | 2010081601_200 | 2010081601_204 | Midas: 2010081601_210 | 2010081601_220
August 15, 2010
I spent the morning of Sunday Aug. 15 with Ken and Zach. We went to Norden, then through the tunnels and snow sheds to Eder. After that we went back to our campsite. I packed up and headed home through Roseville.
Click on the following links to see pictures taken on August 15, 2010:
- UP 8473 EMD SD70ACe | Closer | Even Closer
- UP 8473 leads the KLTG1 15, an eastbound stack train, at 10:10 a.m. on August 15, 2010 out of the big hole at Eder, CA on UP's Roseville Subdivision (Donner Pass Line.)
Nikon D300s Digital Images - 2010081601_247 | 2010081601_253 | 2010081601_254
- UP 5225 EMD SD70M
- On August 15, 2010 at about noon Union Pacific SD70M 5225 leads a westbound ZCSLT 13 stack train approaching the "big hole" at Eder CA on UP's Roseville Sub (Donner Pass.)
Nikon F6, Fujichrome Astia Analog Image: 2010091001_08
- AM 137 GE P42DC
- Amtrak 137 leading train number 5 at Eder, CA on Sunday, August 15, 2010.
Nikon F6, Fujichrome Astia Analog Image: 2010091001_09
- UP 5652 GE C44AC-CTE | GEVO 5579 DPU | Going Into Big Hole | Disappearing | Antelope | DPU at Antelope
- The ZNPOA of August 15 is led by UP GEVO C44AC-CTE 5652 at Eder, CA at 1:45 p.m. on August 15, 2010 on UP's Roseville Subdivision (Donner Pass Line.) GEVO 5579 is on the back as a DPU. These summer pictures of a westbound stack train entering T-41 are taken from Cv 301 (0.58 miles West of Eder).
Later, I shot the train again on my way home. UP GEVO 5652 leads 4173, 4345 and the 5157 at Antelope on the ZNPOA at 6 p.m. on August 15, 2010. UP GEVO 5579 is on the back as the train accelerates.
Nikon D300s Digital Images - 2010081601_264 | 2010081601_267 | 2010081601_269 | 2010081601_271 | Antelope: 2010081601_284 | 2010081601_289
Click on the following links to see other posts related to this story:
- A Winter trip to Donner
- In Feb. 2010 Ken, Zach and I made a Winter trip to the Hill. The related photos are here.
- My related collection in Facebook
- Many related photos from this trip
To all the great folks who helped me out with information for these Web pages!